Friday 26 April 2013

Don't Underestimate Idols!


If there’s one thing that university has taught me, it’s to always ask “Why?”. Ever since I’ve entered back into the JE fandom, there are so many questions that keep popping up in my head:
  •          Why am I so invested in people who live half way around the world?
  •          Why do I listen to music that I don’t understand?
  •          Why do I buy their CDs, magazines, dvds etc when there are *cough* other      methods?


                            Arama

Maybe the simplest explanation is that Hey! Say! Jump, Kis-My-Ft2, Kat-Tun, News and other groups make me happy. I feel happy when I listen to their music and watch their concerts. So I continue to listen and watch.

But there are a lot of things that make me happy: for instance, watching puppy videos on youtube, eating popcorn, and reading a good book.  Why is there a significant difference between these and Johnny’s? Why do I harbour such intense feelings towards these groups? When it comes down to it, I don’t just like JE because it’s entertainment....it’s a part of my life, my identity.

                                   mokutaro

Recently I read this very interesting thesis about Johnny's and reasons why people are interested in this particular form of pop culture: It's My Passion, That's My Mission to Decide, I'm Going Worldwide.... Pradhan suggests that by being invested in Johnny's, it allows people to escape their local culture and later this investment becomes a part of their identity.  You’d think that over 100 pages would be enough to read, but no- I wanted more. lol.

Here are some reasons she lists of why we love Johnny's:
  • They're human beings with flaws and weaknesses 
  • Since we're of similar ages or experiencing similar things, we see ourselves in them and empathize with them
  • Their accomplishments become our accomplishments 
They don't come out as flawless ,perfect humans: They have problems with weight (Oh Takaki, you're fine the way you are), problems with height (Sorry Yamada, please don't get mad XD), problems with smoking (thank goodness Kame quit...). They are people who deal with issues we can relate to. And for the most parts, they're such loveable idiots. They do stupid and silly things, which creates gaps between their "images" and "actual personalities". 

                                jinoo17

I'm the same age as HS7, so I feel like we're going through the similar things. Whenever they talked about school work (well it's only Keito and Yabu in jump now), I would immediately think "Omg they must so tired from studying and working at the same time" or like "They don't have any eye bags even after pulling over nighters...Damn good genes".  Though it could be make-up.  

                                               yamathan29

Also, I find it interesting that we become so happy when they accomplish something! Like when a junior debuts (bakaleya6, we're waiting for you) or when Miyata became a prince for his butai (I was so proud!!!). We have this kind of parent relationship where we feel proud when our support has helped them achieve their goals. 

                                  ohmyychan

                                    

Johnny's makes me laugh, cry, and smile. They give us energy, happiness, and dreams. They're more than just idols. They're friends, family, and crushes lovers.  So....don't underestimate idols! 
edit: i removed the quote since i found out she has subbed videos on her account. she didn't specify no hotlinking but i don't want to cause trouble for the subbing community. 


Post a Comment

Come on a my comment?